Haley settles things with Crystal before leaving.
- Haley Starshine ◀ ▶
- Elan ◀ ▶
- Belkar Bitterleaf ◀ ▶
- Vaarsuvius (Soul Spliced) ◀ ▶
- Mr. Scruffy ◀ ▶
- Celia ◀ ▶
- Crystal ◀ ▶
- Ganonron ◀ ▶
- Jephton the Unholy ◀ ▶
- Jenny ◀ ▶
- Panel 1
Elan: OK, so it started at Daigo and Kazumi's wedding.
Haley: Kaigo and Dazumi? Who the heck are they?
Vaarsuvius: No. No! As tedious as it was to live though many of these events, I shall not suffer a recounting of them.
- Panel 2
Elan: Hey, just because YOU don't care about something doesn't mean that no one else does.
Vaarsuvius: The period during which I can teleport is limited, so unless you would like to swim to the Western Continent, I suggest we table your reiteration.
Ganonron: Put a sock in it.
Jephton: Tell her off-panel!
- Panel 3
Haley: Wait, we're teleporting out? Right now? Hold on, I need to get something really important.
Belkar: Yeah, me too!
Vaarsuvius: What—my boundless magical proficiency is not a taxi, to be left idling while—
Ganonron: Take your time.
Jephton: Meter's running.
- Panel 4
Belkar is in Jenny's room.
Belkar: Mr. Scruffy! Mr. Scruffy, come on, we're leaving this dump.
Jenny: Belkie? You're leaving? Just like that?
Belkar: Just like that. Don't get clingy, OK?
Mr. Scruffy: Meow!
- Panel 5
Jenny: Hey—if you're ever back in town, will you look me up?
Belkar: Well, I would, but I don't remember your name now.
- Panel 6
Crystal has just gotten out of the shower to answer persistent knocking at her door, "knock knock! knock knock! knock knock!"
Crystal: OK, OK, hold on! I'm coming!
Crystal: I hope you're not too attached to the body part you're using to knock, though.
- Panel 7
The person knocks again, "knock knock!"
Crystal: Who's there?
Crystal: Roland who?
- Panel 8
Haley shoots Crystal four times in the chest as she opens the door, "fft! fft! fft! fft!"
Haley: Roland 'Itiative, and his four friends Sneak Attack, Sneak Attack, Sneak Attack, and Sneak Attack.
- Panel 9
Haley picks up a piece of jewelry from Crystal's dresser.
Haley: Under the heading of "Bad Ideas": telling everyone that you'll be in the shower—and thus without your protective magic jewelry.
Haley: Don't worry, though. I'm sure the ones that I can't use will get a good home at the next magic shop we pass.
- Panel 10
Crystal: You double-crossing whore, when Bozzok raises me—
Haley: IF Bozzok raises you, tell him the deal is off. I'm not paying him one copper piece ever again. NOT ONE.
Haley: And I'll kill anyone he sends after me.
- Panel 11
Haley kills Crystal, "SCHLARTCH!"
Haley: Especially you.
- Panel 12
Haley returns to the group carrying Crystal's knife.
Haley: OK, all ready!
Celia: Hey, isn't that Crystal's knife?
Haley: Yeah, she said I could borrow it when we came back from fighting golems. I guess we really bonded.
Celia: Aww, that's nice. Now you'll think of her every time you use it.
Haley: Yup, that's the idea.
D&D Context Edit
- Initiative is rolled at the start of combat to determine the order in which characters act. Since Haley wins initiative, Crystal is flat-footed and is open to her rogue's Sneak Attack class feature for extra damage. Since she was not aware of Haley at the start of combat, Haley gets a Surprise Round, which is why she gets a total of four attacks.
- Weapons with the Frost enchantment do an additional 1d6 cold damage on a successful attack (as noted in the strip's title). Haley's bow that she picked up from Old Blind Pete in #615 has an icy burst enchantment, which includes frost effects.
- The title plays on the proverb "revenge is a dish best served cold", and weapon enchantments in D&D. The origin of the idea may begin the Charles Maurice de Tallyrand-Périgord who has been credited with a similar phrase in French. It has been in English usage since at least 1846.
- The title of this strip is played on further in #835, A Dish Best Served Warm, After All.
- Elan's attitude towards Varasuvius in Panel 2 indicates he's still upset about their callous execution of Kubota in #595.
- The lines in Panel 7 and 8 play out as a "knock knock" joke, which goes along the lines of:
"[Set up name]"
"[Set up name] who?"
"[Set up name] [punch line]."
In this case, the set up name is "Roland" and the punchline is "itiative", which makes "Roland Itiative," or "roll initiative."