Qarr takes matters into his own hands.
- Elan ◀ ▶
- Durkon Thundershield ◀ ▶
- Qarr ◀ ▶
- Lien ◀ ▶
- Daigo Da- ◀ ▶
- Banjo the Clown ◀ ▶
- Therkla (also as Banjo) ◀ ▶
- chief grukgruk (also charmed) ◀ ▶
- shaman vurkle ◀ ▶
- crong ◀ ▶
- gok ◀
- mungu ◀
- Balding Orc ◀
- Long-bearded Scarred Orc ◀
- Tan-loinclothed Orc ◀
- Two Orcs
- Panel 1
Therkla (as Banjo): —which is why pants should be forsaken whenever possible.
Elan: I've always felt the same way! Wow!
Qarr: Oh, no. No way. This is NOT ending with a big fuzzy group hug. None of you humans are leaving this island alive!
- Panel 2
Daigo: What is that voice?
Durkon heals Daigo.
Elan: I dunno, but with a red-and-black speech balloon, it's probably something REALLY scary!
Qarr: I didn't want to keep resorting to the same old spell, but...
Qarr: Charm Monster!
Qarr: Chief Grukgruk, order your orcs to kill all of the humans. And the dwarf.
grukgruk: kill humans and dwarf.
- Panel 3
Therkla (as Banjo): No! Banjo commands you to stop!
grukgruk: kill humans and dwarf.
crong: yes, chief grukgruk.
Therkla (as Banjo): Darn it, he's not listening anymore!
- Panel 4
Therkla emerges from behind the curtain to confront Qarr.
Therkla: Why did you do that??
Qarr: I could ask you the same question. However since it will be made moot by their impending deaths, I'll return to the ship to plan our regicide—
- Panel 5
Qarr:—and decide how to tell Kubota about your actions here.
Qarr: Have a nice swim back.
Qarr teleports away, "poof!"
- Panel 6
Elan parries gok's axe, "kathang!"
Therkla: Elan! This way!
Elan: Hey, I remember you! You're the girl who vanished mysteriously with a loud "sploosh!" noise and a spray of water.
Therkla: Follow me, I know the fastest way to the shore.
- Panel 7
Daigo: Elan looks like he has an escape route.
Durkon: Tha won't be necessary, lad. This time, tha orcs're only attackin' 'cause thar leader's been charmed...
Durkon: A situation tha power o' Thor c'n remedy! Greater Dispel Magic!
- Panel 8
Durkon's magic hits grukgruk from off-panel and disspells the charm.
grukgruk: wait, why us attack?
crong: crong not privvy to rationale behind command decisions.
grukgruk: forget humans then. us stay and worship banjo in peace and harmony.
- Panel 9
vurkle: has anyone seen puppet god?
grukgruk: chief grukgruk thought shaman vurkle had puppet god.
vrukle: shaman vrukle thought chief grukgruk had puppet god.
- Panel 10
All orcs chasing Durkon, Daigo, Lien, Elan, Banjo and Therkla.
Elan: Ah ha! See? My god's power to get us into trouble is stronger than your god's power to get us out of it!
Durkon: Aye? How aboot we compare Banjo's ability ta dodge wit Thor's ability to smack ye upside yer fool head?
D&D Context Edit
- In the second panel Durkon heals Daigos wounds completely, which is likely an unannounced use of the 6th level cleric spell, Heal.
- Charm Monster is a 4th level spell which causes any creature to treat the caster as a trusted ally and friend.
- Greater Dispel Magic is a 6th level cleric spell which cancels other magical effects.
- This is the final appearance of cron, gok, mungu, Balding Orc, Long-bearded Scarred Orc, and Tan-loinclothed Orc, all of whom first appeared in #551.
- Strictly speaking, Elan and Durkon's argument is an exercise in Comparative Religion, not Comparative Theology.