Elan proves that he's bigger than Jesus while fighting against the
- Roy Greenhilt ◀ ▶
- Haley Starshine ◀ ▶
- Elan ◀ ▶
- Vaarsuvius ◀ ▶
- Blackwing ◀ ▶
- Female Camel Drover ◀
- A Dozen Bug Slavers
- Panel 1
Vaarsuvius casts on Elan, Haley, and Roy.
Blackwing: What, no huge blasts of lightning?
Vaarsuvius: Not today, no.
Roy kills a bug, "SLASH! SLASH!"
- Panel 2
Vaarsuvius: If I am to make any progress in harnessing my less desirable tendencies, then I must learn not to respond to any situation with the most powerful magic available to me.
Vaarsuvius: These insectile invaders, while certainly threatening, seem to have no mystical support—and will thus be handily defeated by my comrades.
Vaarsuvius: It is not necessary to insert myself into the fray with frivolous displays of arcane dominance just to satisfy my own ego.
- Panel 3
Vaarsuvius: I will limit myself to low-level enhancement and support unless I find myself personally threatened.
V casts on Elan.
Elan: Thanks for the buff, V. I'll put it to good use now!
- Panel 4
Elan: Why do you need to attack these poor folks, Beetles?
Elan: Why can't you just let it be?
- Panel 5
Elan: All you need is shove!
Elan rescues a girl by shoving the capturing Beetle slaver away
- Panel 6
Elan (singing): ♪♪Come together, right now—under me!♪♪
- Panel 7
Elan (singing): ♪♪ Here comes the pun! Doo doo doo doo!♪
- Panel 8
Elan (singing): I'm making a hole where my sword goes in, and stops your brain from wondering...♪♪
- Panel 9
Elan (singing): ♪♪Bang! Bang! Elan's silver rapier comes down upon your—♪
- Panel 10
Vaarsuvius: CHAIN LIGHTNING Four bugs facing Elan are killed by the electrical discharge.
- Panel 11
Elan: Great job, V! Let's go after the rest!
Vaarsuvius: You go ahead, we shall catch up.
- Panel 12
Blackwing: What happened to "enhancement and support only"?
Vaarsuvius: Protecting my brain still constitutes self-defense.
- There are several references to songs by The Beatles in this strip.
- The title is a reference to Blackbird (which might also be a nod to V's familiar).
- Panel 4 is a reference to Let It Be.
- Panel 5 is a reference to All You Need Is Love.
- Panel 6 is a reference to Come Together.
- Panel 7 is a reference to Here Comes the Sun.
- Panel 8 is a reference to Fixing a Hole.
- Panel 9 is a reference to Maxwell's Silver Hammer.
- This is the final appearance of the Female Camel Drover. She first appeared in #682.